Learn about the Umbellifer plant family, which ones are safe and which ones are poisonous. Learn key identification features and how to avoid picking the wrong ones.
This course is designed for the advanced forager not just because the content is tricky but also because you need to have PLENTY of experience out in the field to even begin to have the confidence to tackle the Umbellifer family without making a wrong ID. We always tell our customers on our foraging walks that while we know what umbellifers are around we do NOT teach umbellifers – especially not on the beginners walks as not only are they particularly tricky with lots of dopplegangers but they also contain some of the most deadly plants in the UK.
We thoroughly recommend if you wish to start learning umbellifers to take this course and then go out and start practising your new ID skills regularly BUT DO NOT start eating your finds. We recommend waiting until you have done SEVERAL foraging walks (courses OR self led with book references) that include looking at umbellifers AND you have both seen them all and are confident in the ID of every single Umbellifer mentioned in this course. If you cannot 100% rule out a poisonous umbellifer DO NOT EAT IT.
As a topic for a forager this is a highly sought after skillset/knowledge that requires lots of practice and patience. IF YOU EVER get stuck with the ID of an umbellifer, you will know how to take the necessary information required for an ID and we will be on hand to have a chat about it. Remember that there is a reason most foraging courses will not go beyond the typical ID of Common Hogweed.
To recap you will learn/obtain:
- A variety of different Umbellifers (12)
- Which are the FOUR key poisonous ones to look out for
- What identification markers you need to look out for/make a note of
- How to avoid mis-identification and slip ups
- Latin names for each individual umbellifer (not required to complete this course)
- Downloadable “Cheat Sheets” for in the field ID practice
You will need to complete the following lessons for this course:
What you Need
- You will need to be logged in and online to start this course
- You will need to be able to play you tube videos and audio clips on your device
- You will need to be able to listen with headphones or speakers. Many of our lessons contain videos or audio clips that are NOT transcribed.
- Time & Patience! This course is designed to get you more comfortable with identifying umbellifers. Throughout each lesson you will be given a selection of key information in a variety of formats. Some lessons may repeat information to ensure the maximum possible information retention is achieved. Skipping videos or other lesson content can harm your course performance.